Sanction 2300283 - Cancellation of asbestos removal licence
|Year of incident
||Licence No 2300283 (A-class), Asbestos Demolition Specialists Pty Ltd (ADS)
Workplace Health and Safety Queensland's (WHSQ) Asbestos Unit carried out an assessment of this license holder that included:
- a review of WHSQ data on historical compliance audits by WHSQ inspectors
- an additional unannounced site audit
- a desktop audit of the licence holder's safety management system
During the period 2012 to 2017, WHSQ inspectors identified contraventions of 14 sections of the Work Health and Safety Regulation 2011, including repeat contraventions, in relation to the following sections:
- failure to minimise exposure to asbestos fibres – s420
- failure of workers to have completed specified asbestos removal training – s460(1)
- failure to keep training records – s461(2)
- failure to have asbestos removal control plan (ARCP) – s464(1)
- failure to notify the Regulator about asbestos removal – s466(1)
- failure to notify particular persons about asbestos removal – s467(3)
- failure to use signage and barricades – s469
- failure to dispose of asbestos waste – s472(1)
- failure in relation to clearance inspection – s473(2)
- failure to notify particular persons about asbestos removal – s467
- failure to have an asbestos removal control plan – s464
- failure to have asbestos removal supervisor readily available – s459
- failure to suppress asbestos fibres whilst using power tools and other implements – s446(3)
- failure to limit access to asbestos removal area – s470.
- The most recent and long history of very poor asbestos related work practices.
- The number of repeated contraventions over a long period.
- The requirement to protect workers and members of the public from exposure to asbestos.
|Enforcement action taken
In June 2018, an application by Licence No 2300283 for renewal of the licence was refused, as the recent assessment of the license holder indicated a failure to ensure that the work or other activities authorised by the current licence were carried out safely and competently.
The list of businesses licensed to remove asbestos has been updated to reflect this cancellation.