Sanction 2303603 - Cancellation of asbestos removal licence
|Year of incident
||Licence No 2303603 (A-class), A1 Asbestos Removals Pty Ltd
Workplace Health and Safety Queensland’s (WHSQ) Asbestos Unit carried out an assessment of this license holder that included:
- a review of WHSQ data on historical compliance audits by WHSQ inspectors
- an additional unannounced site audit
- a desktop audit of the licence holder’s safety management system
During the period 2012 to 2017, 16 statutory notices relating to poor asbestos work practices were issued by WHSQ inspectors. Notices were in relation to the following sections (including repeated non-compliances) of the Work Health and Safety Regulation 2011:
- failure to limit the use of equipment without suppression of airborne asbestos fibres - s446(3).
- failure of workers to have completed specified asbestos removal training – s460(1).
- failure to keep training records – s461(2).
- failure to have asbestos removal control plan (ARCP) – s464(1).
- failure to provide ARCP – s464(3).
- failure to notify the Regulator about asbestos removal – s466(1).
- failure to notify particular persons about asbestos removal – s467(3).
- failure to use signage and barricades – s469.
- failure to have adequate decontamination facilities – s471(1).
- failure to dispose of asbestos waste – s472(1).failure in relation to clearance inspection – s473(2).
- The most recent and long history of very poor asbestos related work practices.
- The number of repeated contraventions over a long period.
- The requirement to protect workers and members of the public from exposure to asbestos.
|Enforcement action taken
In June 2018, Licence No 2303603 was cancelled with a disqualification period of 12 months before they could re-apply for a licence, as the license holder failed to ensure that the work or other activities authorised by the licence were carried out safely and competently.