Sanction 2309443 - Warning letter to asbestos removal licence
|Year of incident
||Licence No 2309443 (B-class), Licensee details are not published when sanction is a warning letter only
Workplace Health and Safety Queensland's (WHSQ) Asbestos Unit carried out an assessment of this license holder that included:
- a review of WHSQ data on historical compliance audits by WHSQ inspectors
- an additional unannounced site audit
- a desktop audit of the licence holder's safety management system
Between 2015 to 2018, WHSQ identified one section of the Work Health and Safety Regulation 2011 that the license holder had not complied with in relation to poor asbestos work practices including the following sections (and repeated non-compliances):
- failure to minimise exposure to asbestos fibres – s420
- failure in relation to health monitoring – s444(1)
- failure of workers to have completed specified asbestos removal training – s460(1)
- failure in relation to provision of personal protective equipmentv
- failure to have asbestos removal control plan (ARCP) – s464(1)
- failure to notify the Regulator about asbestos removal – s466(1)
- failure to use signage and barricades – s469
- failure to dispose of asbestos waste – s472(1)
- failure in relation to clearance inspection – s473(2)
- failure to have an asbestos removal control plan – s464
- failure to ensure containment of asbestos fibres when using a prohibited item (broom) – s446(3).
- The majority of issues identified related to one removal job that occurred in 2018 and there was insufficient evidence to conclude these issues were repeated at other removal sites.
- The requirement to protect workers and members of the public from exposure to asbestos.
|Enforcement action taken
In June 2018, Licence No 2309443 was issued with a warning letter advising that the PCBU would be audited again by the Asbestos Unit with the expectation that asbestos removal practices were to be in compliance with the Work Health and Safety Regulation 2011.