You are here
Important disposal information and illegal dumping
There are legal requirements for the safe disposal and dumping of asbestos.
- Asbestos is a hazardous material that can have health effects to yourself and others if asbestos fibres become airborne
- Asbestos waste is a regulated waste
- Asbestos waste must be disposed of at a landfill site that can lawfully receive asbestos waste. The site is usually operated by your local council
- A full list of local councils and their sites is available on the asbestos disposal information page
- It is illegal to dispose of asbestos waste in domestic garbage bins
- It is illegal to re-use, recycle or illegally dump asbestos products
- It is illegal to store, sell or give away asbestos.
There are two options for disposing of asbestos:
- Asbestos waste is double-wrapped in 0.2 mm thick plastic bags or sheeting, sealed with tape and labelled double wrapped and transported to a landfill site that accepts asbestos. There are also laws surrounding the transport of asbestos.
Label all bags with an appropriate warning such as:
CAUTION - ASBESTOS
DO NOT DAMAGE OR OPEN BAG
DO NOT INHALE DUST
- Asbestos waste is placed into a plastic-lined industrial skip that may have been provided by a waste contractor with an environmental authority to transport regulated waste.