You are here
Drilling into non-friable ACM using an H rated industrial HEPA filter vacuum to control airborne fibres and dust
This safe work procedure describes the preparation, process and work method for drilling holes into non-friable (bonded) asbestos-containing material (ACM) such as fibro, hardiplank, compressed sheeting, tilux, using an H rated industrial HEPA filter vacuum to control airborne fibres and dust.
A range of equipment should be used to control the risk of exposure to airborne asbestos fibres, including:
- 200 μm plastic drop sheets
- rolls of duct or gaffer tape
- plastic bags 1200 x 900 mm (200 μm) labelled with a warning (e.g. CAUTION: Asbestos, Do not damage or open bag. Do not inhale dust.)
- barricading or hazard tape
- bucket three-quarters full of water
- atomiser bottle with water
- access to a continuous supply of water
- cordless drill or hand drill
- drill bits suitable for the task
- tape measure
- rags or disposable wipes
- H rated industrial HEPA filter vacuum that meets AS4260 and AS/NZS 60335.2.69:2003
- shadow vacuuming attachments
- PVA glue (sealant) and a small paint brush
- marker pen
- access to the first aid kit
- spare PPE
- safety lace less work boots.
Follow the steps depicted below and view the example videos.