This safety alert provides a warning about trace amounts of asbestos detected in some brands of children's crayons imported into Australia.
The crayon products in which asbestos has been identified are as follows:
- Dora the Explorer Personalized 32 pack crayons
- Dora the Explorer Jumbo crayons
- Arti Crafti 16 piece crayons
- Peppa Pig 8 wax crayons
- Disney 'Frozen' Jumbo Crayons
- Disney 'Mickey Mouse and Friends' Crayons.
The traces of asbestos that have been detected in the crayons are fully bound in the crayon wax. Studies have shown that as a result, asbestos fibres would not be released during normal use or as a result of ingestion. Accordingly, these goods are considered to pose a very low risk to humans.